Saturday, September 6, 2014

Day 249 | Afraid

Prompt: Tell me about a time when you were afraid. What happened? How did it make you stronger and what did you learn?


Stephanie | When I was 11 years old my step father came home one night, drunk and in a rage, my brother and I standing there watching him beat our mom, helpless and in shock. When she was able to get away, she told me to grab whatever cash I had and to meet her in the car. We were able to get away but quickly found him driving frantically behind us, swerving all over the place trying to catch up. I was looking out the back window, watching him get closer and closer, seeing the rage in his eyes, it was like a scene from a movie. I was so afraid, I thought he was going to run his car right into ours. I thought we were going to die that night. 

Annetta | I remember the day my father called me during my first week of a new job, I was working at a hotel call center. He told me that my sister-in-law's house burned down and that I needed to get there as soon as I could. I shrugged it off, in my mind it was just a house as long as everyone was okay. A little while later he called me again to see if I was on my way. I preceded to tell him no, as I saw no reason to leave... "Everyone is okay right?" His reply sent fear through my body, "No, nothing is okay. Just get down here now!" The phone went silent. As fear escalated, I threw the receiver onto my work desk and ran to the nearest corner. As waves of shock and sobs tore through my body I hide denying the horrors that I was about to face. With fear paralyzing me my dear friend and co-worker took things into her own hands by quickly getting me into the nearest cab. I could not talk, but cried till my heart broke in two. It took 30 horrible minutes to get to the scene. Without the cab even pulling over I jumped and started running. I didn't care the stares I got as I ran past the crowds and towards the ashes of a house that once was a beautiful lake side residence of my bother, his wife, their two boys 3 and 5 and my sister-in-laws sister. Before I could reach the front door I was constrained by a fireman. I screamed and yelled who was it that died, but they would not answer me.
They were gone! All of them! I was AFRAID!
No one had survived the murders that took place there while my bother was fighting for our country in Iraq. 


3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for both of you! What a terrible loss, Annetta :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simona! This journal also makes us share things we normally wouldn't with the world. Somethings we are are hard, but in sharing them we are a little better.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for both of you too, how sad these were to read. Thank you for sharing these with us and I hoped it helped you to journal and let these memories go. Not sure what I will write when I come to this prompt. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

09 10