Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 Wrap Up Post

2019 Wrap Up Post






Stephanie |

What was the hardest thing for you during the 52-week project?
  •  A few different things. Dealing with the instructions in the book was tricky at times. I didn't feel the instructions were clear sometimes. Or if you needed to know how to assemble a certain piece, it would refer you to instructions at the front of the book, but sometimes this would refer you again to another section. Another thing that bothered me was not having room for error when sewing. For example, it would tell me to cut out the fabric to the finished size, rather than making it slightly larger, sewing, then trimming down to the correct size. This is where I believe I could have prevented many wonky and short lines. I am still a beginner and my sewing shifts at times, especially when sewing diagonal, I need that bit of a buffer. Finally, just losing motivation and this feeling like work. There were times, especially at the end, where I was dealing with other things, and this wasn't a top priority. I kept pushing it to tomorrow...or the next day. I would scramble to finish Sunday to post, but it got easier and easier to wait till Monday. It lost its appeal in the final weeks when other things got hectic.

Are you happy with the outcome of your projects?
  •  Overall yes. I am happy that I was able to fully complete 1 of the 2 quilts. I just have some assembling to do on the 2nd one and it will be finished also. I definitely made mistakes, my blocks are not perfect, but done is better than perfect.

Would you do this project again?
  •  I don't know. I want to continue quilting. But this felt like such a long and drawn-out process for only completing 1 quilt. It seemed like I was doing the same thing week after week, cutting the same fabric, to the same size, making the same pieces...but the assembly was different. It wasn't the most effective use of time. But I guess that just comes with doing a different block 1 week at a time.

What has been your favorite part of this project?
  •  Being creative, exploring quilting, and continuing this crazy A Year To Inspire project with my best friend.

Annetta |

What was the hardest thing for you during the 52-week project?
  •  For me, it was finding the time to sit down and focus on this project. At the beginning of the year, I had little hours at work and not much on my plate. Towards the end of the year, I signed another work contract on top of my part-time job and picked up my own personal side projects. I am happy that I picked a crochet project because it forced me to learn the craft, but I didn't realise the commitment it took to actually crochet a single square. For some reason, the square didn't magically crochet itself.

Are you happy with the outcome of your projects?
  • I would say a big yes. The first crochet blanket that I finished I gifted to my mother. She crocheted so many blankets and things for me in the part that I thought this would be a beautiful gift back to her, something made by her only daughter. The first blanket turned out prettier and bigger then I thought it would when I started. I would have liked to pick out different colors, but other than that I am very happy.  For the second 'blanket' I am also happy because this gave me a chance to pick my own squares and really learn how to read a crochet pattern. The whole project has been a beautiful learning curve. 

Would you do this project again?
  • Maybe, it really depends on the crochet pattern, the yarns and colors that are used and who I was doing it with. Stephanie and I did projects that focused on different creative outlets. I would like to do everything the same, but I say like because it's not a possibility. 

What has been your favorite part of this project?
  • I would have to agree with Stephanie on her answer. I LOVE working on A Year to Inspire with her and that is always my favorite part. We are far from each other at the moment and this gives us a beautiful place to reconnect. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10